Redirecting to .com (without confusing CloudFoundry…)

It’s a two-for-one today – a “gotcha” and a “how to” all rolled into one, this time about redirecting in a Grails filter.

Much like my favicon woes my initial attempt to redirect to a primary domain (a .com without the “www” prefix) had some unexpected consequences when deployed to a live server on CloudFoundry – I started getting warnings that my site had gone down!

In this post I’ll hopefully save you the panic of CloudFoundry telling you that your site’s not responding when you try to rationalise your domain names!

Continue reading

Spring Secutiry (ACEGI) Plugin and Favicon Permissions

Here’s a quick gotcha for you. You set up a favicon in the root of your web app, as is the convention, and when you log in you are redirected to a picture of your favicon or you are asked to download it… Weird.

Odds on you’ve installed the Spring Security plugin and forgotten to give permission to the favicon file in the root and the result is that on login Spring Security redirects you to the first restricted item that was requested by the browser – the favicon.

The solution? Easy, set the favicon path to IS_AUTHENTICATED_ANONYMOUSLY in your SecurityConfig.groovy (or database):

controllerAnnotationStaticRules = [
    ...
    '/favicon.ico' : ['IS_AUTHENTICATED_ANONYMOUSLY'],
    ...
]

When My Grails App Got Stuck in a Recompilation Loop

The first sign something was wrong was the JVM bombing out with a “java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space” error. All I’d done was change a gsp, so I restarted and after a long wait the same thing happened and it was then I noticed that the compiler just kept recompiling 4 classes in a loop until the JVM bombed.

This had happened to me once before when I’d managed to set the time incorrectly on my PC so some of my files appeared to be modified in the future. However this time I’d not done anything of the sort.

Continue reading

Grails Filter Fail (Update)

[sigh] Some days just seem to be wasted trying to work out why some apparently simple task cannot be accomplished. The frequency of such days has increased somewhat since I started using Grails – while I am a fan of the framework it is still occasionally buggy and badly documented and I seem to stumble into issues every week.

Continue reading

Potential Problem with the Grails RichUI Plugin AutoComplete Tag

I’ve been using the Grails RichUI plugin and have found a few of the tags it provides to be very useful. The one I’m using the most is the AutoComplete tag which I may well be writing more about in the near future. However, tonight I found a potential issue with the way it creates the YUI data source for the component – it seems it always gives it the same name: ‘autoCompleteDataSource’.

Continue reading