On my latest Java project, my colleagues and I are keen to improve the readability of test classes. We’ve chosen to use Mockito and Hamcrest because of their natural language approach to mocking and assertions, but on their own they can’t always convey the meaning of values used in a test.
To overcome this, we use a pattern which I’ll call the “Domain Test Values Class”, the purpose of which is to provide values used in the testing of a domain in a way which improves understanding of test code by increasing readability and adding meaning to values.
It’s a two-for-one today – a “gotcha” and a “how to” all rolled into one, this time about redirecting in a Grails filter.
Much like my favicon woes my initial attempt to redirect to a primary domain (a .com without the “www” prefix) had some unexpected consequences when deployed to a live server on CloudFoundry – I started getting warnings that my site had gone down!
In this post I’ll hopefully save you the panic of CloudFoundry telling you that your site’s not responding when you try to rationalise your domain names!
Setting up MySQL connection pooling has been standard stuff in server-side apps for as long as I’ve been writing them, so I was at a loss when, every 5 days or so, my newly deployed app died with this exception:
Exception in thread "main"
Communications link failure
Last packet sent to the server was 0 ms ago.
Here’s a quick gotcha for you. You set up a favicon in the root of your web app, as is the convention, and when you log in you are redirected to a picture of your favicon or you are asked to download it… Weird.
Odds on you’ve installed the Spring Security plugin and forgotten to give permission to the favicon file in the root and the result is that on login Spring Security redirects you to the first restricted item that was requested by the browser – the favicon.
The solution? Easy, set the favicon path to IS_AUTHENTICATED_ANONYMOUSLY in your SecurityConfig.groovy (or database):
controllerAnnotationStaticRules = [
'/favicon.ico' : ['IS_AUTHENTICATED_ANONYMOUSLY'],
I’ve been waiting for the time to give Burt Beckwith’s fantastic UI-Performance plugin a proper post, but it looks like it’s not going to happen any time soon so I thought some of you might find this tip for getting the plugin to cache font files, along with images and css, useful.
The usually simple upgrade process in Grails has caused me a few headaches in moving from 1.2.2 to 1.3.1. I skipped the 1.3 upgrade because there were a few people having issues on the mailing list but yesterday I bit the bullet and encountered a couple of problems.
I think the release notes for Grails 1.3.x have been unusually poor so this post has the issues I’ve encountered in the hope that you won’t go quite as mad as I have. I’ll keep it updated if I find more problems. Continue reading
I just came across this problem using the datePicker tag in a gsp – it appeared that there was no way to stop the tag showing today’s date when no value was set on the bean. Continue reading